30 Darrin Horn Facts
In the last week I have received a very good response to my article "No Progress For Horn" http://www.dixiefriedsports.com/No_Progress_for_Horn.html. Still, some people just want a quick listing of facts. Well, today I give you 30 facts on Darrin Horn. You decide what these facts mean.
1. Horn's record at South Carolina is 60-63. The 63 losses are the most ever at South Carolina for a 4th year coach. 33 of those losses have been by double digits
2. Horn's SEC record at South Carolina is 23-45(including Tournament Games)
3. Horn's postseason record is 0-5(0-1 in the NIT, 0-4 in the SEC Tournament)
4. This year's 21 losses ties the school record for losses in a season
5. South Carolina ranks 290th in points scored in the NCAA
6. South Carolina ranks 306th in Field Goal %
7. South Carolina ranks 324th in assists in the NCAA
8. The 61 ppg was the lowest scoring average for USC since 98-99
9. This year's 2-14 conference record is tied for the worst in the SEC since the league expanded to 12 teams 20 years ago
10. South Carolina's RPI is 194
11. South Carolina's RPI is lower than instate schools like USC Upstate, Clemson, Coastal Carolina, Wofford, College of Charleston, and Charleston Southern. The only D1 schools in South Carolina with a lower RPI are Furman, Winthrop, The Citadel, and South Carolina State
12. Horn is 27-57 against Major Conference opponents.
13. Horn has 5 losses to Southern Conference teams and one to an Ohio Valley Conference team.
14. Former Gamecock recruit Darrius Morrow that Horn didn't want at USC has had 3 straight seasons of averaging double figures, as a freshman he averaged 9.7 ppg. He has shot over 50% every year at East Carolina
15. A year after leaving the South Carolina program, Murphy Holloway is averaging 11 ppg and 9 rebounds per game. He's shooting 52% from the floor
16. A year after leaving the South Carolina program, Ramon Galloway is averaging 14 ppg and is hitting 43% from 3 point range.
17. Horn is 24-37 without Devan Downey
18. The last South Carolina coach to have 3 consecutive losing seasons was Frank Johnson from 1953-1956.
19. South Carolina's win pct this year is tied for the 4th worst since the SEC Expanded to 12 teams
20. South Carolina, Missouri, Alabama, and Vanderbilt are the only 4 schools in the SEC that does not have a commitment from a Rivals Top 150 player in 2012. South Carolina is the only 1 of those 4 that won't be in the NCAA Tournament this year
21. 4 of 18 home games this year had 10,000 or more tickets sold. In 2 of those games(Ohio State and Kentucky) there were probably more opposing fans in the arena.
22. In Darrin Horn's 5 years at Western Kentucky he had only 1 NCAA Appearance, in the 4 years after Horn WKU has 2 NCAA Appearances. In the 5 years prior to Horn WKU had 3 NCAA Appearances.
23. Dennis Felton's last 3 WKU teams went 74-20 overall and 39-5 in the Sun Belt. Horn had more losses in year 1 at WKU than Felton did in his final 3 years combined
24. Of Darrin Horn's 10 wins this year, only 2 came against teams in the RPI top 100. Horn was 2-15 against the top 100 this year.
25. Horn has a record of 18-49 against the RPI top 100 while at South Carolina
26. Horn has a record of 7-26 against the RPI top 50 while at South Carolina
27. Darrin Horn has a record of 4-26 against SEC teams since January 19,2011. He has a record of 3-24 against SEC teams since February 2, 2011. He has a record of 2-19 since February 22, 2011
Progress? What Progress?
28. South Carolina is 10-33 in February and March Games This show they are far worse as the season progresses
29. South Carolina is 4-20 in SEC Rematches under Horn. So while USC isn't progressing, other teams are doing better against USC the 2nd time around
I had an emailer named Chris that called me the "Voice of the Voiceless" with my Horn Article from last week. I'm not sure I'd go that far with it because all Gamecock fans have a voice. To let it be heard contact the USC Board of Trustees at this link http://trustees.sc.edu/biographies.html. If you support Horn I'm sure they'd love to hear from you too.
30. Scoring has gone down every season under Horn 78 ppg year 1, 71 in year 2, 67 year 3, 61 year 4